LAUNCH (OR RELAUNCH)
YOUR COLLEGE STUDENT
Parents, is your child ready to launch? How can you equip them for success?
In the past year, both parents and students have been put through the ringer. You’ve missed out on “normal” college prep experiences like orientations and in-person college visits. You’ve tackled distance learning and wonky schedules. You’ve missed out on activities, athletics, proms, and ceremonies. Some of you moved your student off to campus, only to move them back home a few short weeks later. Others never even got that far!
Normal or not, the high school-to-college transition is still a big deal!
While we’ve had a year like never before, some things remain the same. Launching (or relaunching) into the college years is a time of mixed emotions for both students AND parents. It is stressful and scary, but at the same time exciting and powerful!
Parents, YOU have a vital role in setting your student up for a successful launch.
Countless studies and reports confirm this. Your support and healthy involvement matters. How can you reduce anxiety and confusion AND instill confidence and excitement in your college-bound student?
Forget the fluff. We’ll talk about what works and what doesn’t in a relaxed, comfortable format. This is real talk for real parents. We’ll tackle what you really want (and need) to know. From mental health and safety concerns to substance use, roommate relations and communicating effectively with your student, we’ve got you covered.
- What are the most critical aspects of the launch?
- How can you prepare practically and mentally to move them out and let them go?
- How can you reduce anxiety and gain confidence?
- How specifically can you set your student up for success?
- What practical tips do you need to know to make it the smoothest transition possible?
Parents, learn how to launch (or relaunch) with love—and keep your sanity!
These classes are created for parents of high school students and current college students. Whether this is your first child to launch (or you are relaunching one who couldn’t attend in-person last year), we hope you can join us!
College parenting expert Kelly Radi will lead your live, virtual, 3-part parent series on the Zoom platform. She’s the author of MIPA GOLD Award-winning Out to Sea: A Parents’ Survival Guide to the Freshman Voyage and a sought-after speaker on campuses across the country. This book is highly recommended by higher ed professionals as THE go-to resource for parents navigating the college launch.
All Sections FULL
Section 1JUNE 3, 10, 17
Thursdays - at both noon and 7pm CST (attend the one that fits your schedule)
Section 2JULY 14, 21, 28
Wednesdays - at both noon and 7pm CST (attend the one that fits your schedule)
- The “new normal” and how life post-COVID is affecting our students
- Anxiety and the college student - mental and physical wellbeing
- Mentorship parenting - providing anchors and sails
- Practical preparations - money matters, housing and packing
- What you need to know for smooth sailing on move-in day
- When and how to communicate with your student
- Secrets to success - time management, engagement
- The scary stuff - crime and safety, substance abuse, homesickness
- Fear of the unknown - how to support your student in uncharted waters
- Understanding your (their) support system and how it works
- What to expect when they come home - family dynamics
- Staying connected with your student
Each session will have a presentation, guided discussion and plenty of time for your questions to be answered.
Cost $49.99 per household - includes signed copy of Out to Sea: A Parents’ Survival Guide to the Freshman Voyage shipped to you (domestic US addresses only) and access to all 3 classes. Sessions will be recorded and available for 48 hours afterward by request, in the event you are unable to attend a session in person.